The Origins and History of Watts Bridge Memorial Airfield During WW2

There are references to early aircraft landing grounds around the Toogoolawah area in the newspapers of the day. Interesting to find that early proponents of having a landing ground in the Toogoolawah area are the Boy Scouts, the RACQ and the Show Society.

Brisbane Courier Tuesday 13th November 1928

"The monthly meeting of the committee of the Toogoolawah branch of the R A C Q was held at the "Good Templers' Hall on November 5 In the absence of the president, Mr r J. Carthew was voted to the chair The next official outing was fixed for December 2, to Barney's Rocks Mr A B Dtllaway presented a report regarding the proposal to provide a landing ground for aeroplanes,which showed that part of Mr Gardner' paddock at Dingyarra was available The matter of making the place suitable was left in Mr Ditlaway's hands, the committee agreeing to render any necessary assistance"

Another early report of an aircraft landing ground was published in the Brisbane Courier on Saturday December the 8th 1928 and is as follows:

"At the monthly meeting of the Toogoolawah branch of the R.A.C.Q.. Mr. Dlllaway reported that, with the assistance of the Boy Scouts, the proposed landing ground for aeroplanes In Toogoolawah had been cleared. It was decided to offer prizes to the boys for the best .maps 'submitted of the grounds and surroundings, so that they might be forwarded to Captain Brain, In Brisbane. It was also decided to endeavor to arrange a motor outing for a party of Boy Scouts from Lutwyche, who propose to hold an encampment near Cressbrook at the end of the month".

The Captain Brain referred to above is likely to be Lester Brain CFI for QANTAS. Brain went on to become Managing Director of de Havilland Aircraft in Sydney in 1955.

Further in the Brisbane Courier on Tuesday 15th January 1929 the following article was published"

"At a recent meeting of the Toogoolawah branch of the R.A.C.Q. it was decided to offer a prize, open to members of the Toogoolawah Boy Scouts, for the best map of the aeroplane landing grounds at Mr. Gardner's Dingyarra farm. Five-maps were submitted, and. the Judges(Messrs. G. S. Wilson and E. J. Hatton)have made the following awards:-Les Allen 1, Arthur Hayes 2, Gordon Dlllaway 3"

Another press report, this one published published in the Brisbane Courier, Monday, 29th April 1929:

Mr. D. C. Pryce presided over a good attendance at a meeting of the show committee. A letter was received from Professor Murray agreeing to open the show on May 25. It was agreed to abandon the Idea of sub-dlstrlct exhibit at the show. Mr. M'Callum reported that the work of preparing an aeroplane landing place on the show grounds was well forward, and It was agreed that a scale of charges be made by the society for plane using It for flight purposes."

"Dingyarra Farm" had been a part of the Cressbrook Estate, which once belonged to Mr.J. H. McConnel.

Queensland Times Thursday 15 January 1942

In an article published under the title "Esk Shire Council - Good Budgetary Position - Limiting Works"

The Department of Civil Aviation (Archerfield) advised that In 1930 the department had forwarded to the council plans and details necessary to provide an aerodrome on the Esk golf course. However, since then licensing requirements had been revised, which would now make It necessary to take in extra land. That would entail extensions in a westerly direction, The department, it was pointed out, had no funds available that could be spared for such a project - It was decided that the council should take no action at present.

RAAF Years


The design of airfields during WW2 varied according to their intended use, proximity to enemy action etc. Toogoolawah was designed as a fighter dispersal strip with accommodation for some 250 men.

As early as 1931 there had been a semi-official landing ground at Toogoolawah. Located one mile east of the town. It had a windsock and been registered on plan Z-606 with the then Dept of Civil Aviation. In December, 1940, the Director of Civil Aviation asked the Secretary, Department of Air, to consider providing an emergency landing ground at Toogoolawah. The formers letter had been prompted by Mr McManus, manager of Aircrafts Proprietary Ltd. of Brisbane, who had suggested .that it could be used in an emergency on the Brisbane - Kingaroy route and might be useful for the training of pilots under the Empire Air Training Scheme (EATS) when carrying out cross country flights.

The Civil Aviation Department stated that they were noting a position to carry out a preparation of the ground and put forward the idea that the Esk Council might be prepared to assist with the work if the area was to be used by the Dept of Air. A reply in January 1941 stated that Toogoolawah was not presently required by the RAAF or Defense.

In the Queensland Times 3rd December 1941 the following appeared, there were only two RAAF stations in the Brisbane Valley (Lowood and Toogoolawah), so one can speculate that this is referring to those two stations.

£40.000 For R.A.A.F. Stations in Brisbane Valley CANBERRA. Dec. 2.-Two contracts of a total value of £40,000 have been let for work on two R.A.A.F. stations in the Brisbane River Valley.

During May and June 1942, the Australian Army began pressing for construction of airstrips at Toogoolawah for use by their Army Co-operation Squadron. The site was considered superior to Toowoomba. On Monday 15 June 1942, the old landing ground was inspected by Pilot Officer J.J. Keays (RAAF) with Messrs. Calder and Lowe of the Main Roads Commission. Also included in the party was Mr. Hill of the Esk Shire, Mr.Wyeth of Home Security and Lt. Chester of 1st Australian Army. The original site, just outside of town was condemned as it was subject to flooding during the wet season. Mr Hill advised that two foot of water flowed over it during periods of heavy rain and the area was generally situated for the wet season. An alternative selected by Mr. Hill was inspected and although not entirely satisfactory, it appeared to be the best available. Mr Hill had investigated the whole of the shire and was satisfied that no better site existed.

The new area was approximately four miles to the east of the original and located between the Brisbane and Mt Beppo Road. Colonel Bleachmore was advised after the inspection that work on the new site would commence the following Monday and Mr Calder had been placed in charge of arrangements. The matter at this stage was entirely an Army one with Pilot Officer Keays assisting only with locating the site and arranging the layout. Some 650 acres were acquired of farming and grazing land, which was requisitioned under the provisions of the National Security (General) Regulations. The property owners affected were Mr. A.J. Bryant, Frank Isaac Cannell and Mr E.F.Henderson. Total annual rental was 372 pounds.

By mid August 1942, the work was 95% complete and had cost approx. 4,000 pounds. Preparation had included clearing and grading and consolidation of two strips 5,000 and 4,000 ft (118 M and 32 M) also deviations of road and telephone lines. The drome was now considered suitable for aircraft up to P-40 Kittyhawk size. Construction of the project had been carried out by the Allied Works Council. An assessment, in September 1942, the advantages of the new Toogoolawah runways were recorded as:-


(a) Only two strip site available in the district adjacent to Esk.
(b) Unlimited water from the Brisbane River within half a mile.
(c) Electric power and telephone on site.
(d) All weather road to the railway station 5 miles distant.
(e) Good soil and drainage
(f) Site difficult to locate from the air owing to the excellent growth of new grass on the runways which pass between existing farmhouses and cross graveled roads.
(g)Within reasonable distance of Army Operational Campsite.


Only one disadvantage was noted, this being that very little cover was available for dispersal of aircraft. This was offset however by other favourable factors. Approval for a soil cement runway on the 32 strip came through in October 1942. After a soil survey this decision was reversed to the 122 strip in December. At this same time, Lt Colonel Brinney advised that it was proposed to establish a Home Base. aerodrome for No.5 Army Co-Operation at Toogoolawah.

In the latter stages of 1942, 100,000 pounds became available through US 149 project for construction of a parent drome at Toogoolawah together with aircraft dispersal facilities including a dispersal area or separate landing ground if necessary. A camp was designed to accommodate up to 300 personnel. At one stage it was planned to locate a RAAF repair and salvage unit. All this did not eventuate, mainly because of the northwards movement of the war and the use of Lowood and Cecil Plains some 30 miles and 100 miles distant respectively.

The idea of a soil/cement runway was abandoned in mid 1943 and replaced with the plan for both strips to be sealed with gravel. By January 1944 the gravel on both runways was 50% completed with some 16,400 cubic yards laid from a stock of 33,000 cubic yards. Underground drains were 20% finished and open ones 60%. Fencing had been completed and the total cost ran to 29,200 pounds. The airfield then airfield then appears to have been virtually abandoned until the end of the war, except for occasional visits by No.14 Base unit at Lowood. Post war the site was leased by the Dept of Civil Aviation on a monthly tenancy basis with an annual rental of 312 pounds.

Astute readers might have noted the use of the term “home base”. in the above article, this is the origin of the term Home Base Groups now used by the association.

Image above: taken August 1942 during the early days of the construction of the airfield. (click on image for high res view). Note the additional buildings that are no longer in existence and the diversion road (top left) for Silverleaves Rd so that it didn't interfere with the main runway.

Close examination of the above photo shows the construction camp for the 100+ people employed constructing the airfield. Also visible is the Watts Bridge after which the airfield is named. The bridge was washed away in 1974- see a magnified section of the relevant section below:

The camp appears to be a number of tents close to the Brisbane River and with easy access to Silverleaves Rd

Photo Above: 12/30 looking from the north-west end (runway 12) looking east. Photo taken 17 August 1942

Photo Above: Runway 12/30 looking from the south-east end (runway 30) looking west. Photo taken 17 August 1942

In a post-war document titled "The History of the Queensland Main Roads Commission during World War ii 1939 - 1945" on page 18 the following mention is made about the commission's work at Toogoolawah.

5 SQN and Toogoolawah

From the records in the National Archives of Australia, the first evidence of aerial activity by a 5 SQN aeroplane seems to be when P/O Ron Foryth flew across from Toowoomba on the 7th July 1942 as per the extract below from 5 SQN's operations record book shows

Christmas1942

The two photo's below were given to Roger Marks by Ian Olorenshaw and Roger kindly passed on a copy for use on this site. The images show Christmas 1942 being celebrated in the Officers Mess at the airfield.

Photo above - from left to right

  • F/O Bob Goldsworthy, F/O John Haywood
  • F/O Don Hutton, F/O Bob Staley, F/O Clive Free
  • Captian Bill Hansom, P/O Ron Forsyth
  • F/O Fred Watchorn, P/O Alan Saunders
  • P/O Rob Grady

 

One cannot but observe that the "Officers Mess" is a primitive affair, on the back of the photo above it is described as a "Bough Shanty"

Extract from 5 SQN Operations Record book (whilst at Toogoolawah)

From the operations record book, there were 12 Wirraways that operated from Toogoolawah during the time 5 SQN was based there. There were:

 

 

 

The image above is of 5SQN Wirraways at the airfield. The photo was taken in the 2nd week of 1943 and shows the aircraft at the north western end of runway 12/30..Thanks must go to Gordon Birkett. The photo shows A20/517/638/286 and one unidentified. The date was worked out based on A20/538 going to 7SFTS on 21 January 1943 and A20-517 arrived 07 January 1943.

In May 1943 the drawing below was drawn. It is interesting in a number of ways, one being that it shows the names of the families that owned the land upon which the airfield was established. Hit on the drawing to see an enlarged version.

Examination of the map above shows that land was resumed from the following families:

  • Cannell
  • Henderson
  • Bryant
  • Barbour

below is an image extracted from the low level aerial oblique ( Runway 12/30 looking from the south-east end) showing what is believed to be the Bryant house in the foreground and the Cannell house in the background. These would have been situated at the northern end of runway 03/21

An overhead view of the same buildings, Silverleaves Rd is the road visible in the top right of the photo.

Because of the high resolution of some of the photos above it is possible to see a number of houses and buildings that are within the current airfield boundaries and no longer in existence. Likewise it is possible to see some of the plant used in constructing the airfield.

The photo above was taken on 23rd March 1943. This shows that the runways are starting to gain grass cover. Also visible in the photo are the gravel pits from which the airfield was constructed. Clearly visible on the left hand side of the photo is the diversion road that was constructed to replace Silverleaves Rd (the road that intersects the main runway.

In the image below a section of the photo above has been enlarged greatly to show the details of the buildings at the intersection of Cressbrooke Caboonbah Rd and Silverleaves Rd. These buildings include the ablution block referred to in the RAAF August data sheets (August 1943). The schedule of buildings refers to nine buildings being on the airfield.

From Google in 2011, the satellite images shows the foundation of some of the buildings clearly visible.

The former houses at the end of the 03/21 runway show that the RAAF was now using them for some purpose. This can seen in the image segment below.

Also visible is some works associated with the airfield at the bottom centre of the photo. These works would have been opposite what now is the main entrance gate to the airfield. Their purpose is unknown to the author.

 

The data sheets for the airfield in August 1943 are shown below:


Crash of DH Dragon A34-19


On the 17th September, the crash occurred on the airfield of a DH-84 (De Havilland Dragon) aircraft from No.2 Air Ambulance Unit. It appeared that Flying Officer A.F. Thorley (A3929) was piloting DH-84 aircraft A34-19, and owing to the weather, discontinued his flight to the RAAF field at Kingaroy, (He had been returning to Kingaroy after having taken patients to Mascot, Sydney NSW) and turned back to Toogoolawah, where apparently in flying low over the strip to have a look at it before landing, he crashed. Flying Officer Thorley was killed and his passenger, Flight Sergeant Newton (32596 was seriously injured and was sent to hospital in Brisbane.

Flying Officer Thorley was buried in the Defense Section of the Kingaroy cemetery on Sunday 19 September 1943. Flying Officer Thorley had been assessed as above average during his service in No.6 Squadron (30/ 10/40), No1 A.O.S (Feb 1942) as pilot/ navigator and No.2 Air Ambulance Unit as pilot/navigator. A34-19

A34-19 had been received from De Havillands by 2AD on 11/11/42 where it was camouflaged and issued to No.35 Sqn an the 19/11/42. 29/1/43 it was allocated to ANA from 35 Sqn. On 28/3/43 it was received by 1AD from ANA, on 10/3/43 it was issued to 3 C.F ex 1 AD. 31/5/43 it was issued to 2.A.A.V from 3 C.F. On 20/ 9/43 it crashed and subsequently was on 21/9/43 was issued to 3AD where it was broken into spares.

LOCAL RECOLLECTIONS OF THE WW2 YEARS
by Ross Stenhouse 2010

Mr. Bob Cannell's father owned part of the land on which the airfield is located. His grandfather is the .Watts. after whom the bridge and subsequently the airfield is named. His wife kept a diary of events about the area. Bob recollects that an Air Observation Post was located on the Cannell homestead and initially the house was used as an office whilst the airfield was being built.

He remembers the runways being built and that the runways were excavated to a depth of about 18 inches and a mixture of river sand and clay being used as fill. A number of buildings were completed, these being the Mess building and the ablution block. These were located on the other side of Silverleaves Rd. from the current airfield boundaries and roughly at the intersection of Lower Cressbrooke Rd. and Silverleaves Rd. Bob remembers Silverleaves Rd. being re-routed around the north west of the main runway.

5SQN was based at the airfield and they flew Wirraways and Tiger Moths there. These aircraft were dispersed in the trees located to the north of the field. A large canvas hangar was erected and aircraft maintenance work was carried out inside the hangar. Bob remembers the crash of the RAAF DH Dragon aircraft and says his mother was the first to arrive at the scene. The pilot was dead and the other occupant severely injured He remembers a large number of aircraft used the field and remembers the following types of aircraft landing at the field. B25, B17, Liberator Wirraways and Tiger Moths. These aircraft used the field during emergencies and during training.

This story was written by the author about 23 years ago after a conversation with Bob. Bob joined the RAAF as a fitter during WW2, thus these recollections are not those of a child. Bob is still a regular visitor to Watts and lives in the local area. A keen aviator, Bob is building an aircraft with his son. The author often talks to Bob, the last time being in early January 2004.

5 SQN Tiger Moths at Toogoolawah and Toowoomba

at Toogoolawah NO.5 Sqn.

A17-285 VH-AJF - crashed into Sydney Harbour 1949
A17-488 Did not survive RAAF service
A17-601 VH-BIP - Messrs Lowe & Wall, Julia Creek, Old. WFU 1959
A17-603 VH-BOV - N.T. Aero Club. WFU - 1961
A17-611 VH-DDP - Darling Downs Aero Club. WFU 1957 after crash
A17-616 Did not survive RAAF service
A17-617 VH-RVE - Royal Vic. A.C. - mid-air collision, 1955, Werribee, Vic.(one of 3 Tigers to carry this reg.)

at Toowoomba

A17-483 Did not survive RAAF service
A17-484 VH-BGG - Rob McCann
A17-485 VH-AIP - Tom Scott, Wangaratta, (under rebuild for French customer)
A17-486 VH-RVD - (Royal Vic. A.C. - Written off 1955)
A17-487 VH-BFU - Air Agriculture Control Ltd., Sydney. WFU 1951.
A17-488 Did not survive RAAF service
A17-601 VH-BIP - Messrs Lowe & Wall, Julia Creek, Old. WFU 1959
A17-603 VH-BOV - N.T. Aero Club. WFU - 1961
A17-611 VH-DDP - Darling Downs Aero Club. WFU 1957 after crash
A17-616 Did not survive RAAF service
A17-617 VH-RVE - Royal Vic. A.C. - mid-air collision, 1955, Werribee, Vic.(one of 3 Tigers to carry this reg.)

5 SQN and Tiger Moth A17-616

Article from ADF newsletter - Sept 2006 - http://www.adf-serials.com/newsletter/news0906.pdf

Presentation Aircraft: Oxley Shire Tiger Moth – Gordon Birkett
One of many aircraft to be presented to the RAAF during WW2; ranging from Link-Trainers, Tiger Moths to even Wirraways, we’ll concentrate on one particular Tiger Moth in this issue.
During the Second World War the local population of Oxley became involved in raising sufficient funds to subscribe to a presentation aircraft for the RAAF.

Oxley is an agricultural township on the King River, 12 km. South-East of Wangaratta in North-East Victoria. The explorers, Hume and Hovell in 1824, named the area of Oxley Plains after the New South Wales Surveyor-General, John Oxley.

The Oxley Shire extended from Wangaratta southwards to Mount Howitt at the crest of the Great Dividing Range. Its east-west dimension was from Greta to the foot of the Mount Buffalo plateau. Its area was 2,789 square kilometres. The township of Oxley was the administrative centre of Oxley shire until 1936, although council meetings continued at the shire hall in Oxley until 1966.

The Presentation Subscription had raised, by June 1942, enough funds to enable the allocation of an individual Tiger Moth Trainer by the RAAF. That aircraft would be A17-616. The aircraft was new, having only been just received from De Havilland Australia (Per authority QY874) at 1 Air Observation School on 17th August 1942. It was here that the aircraft was fixed with its presentation plaque on her fuselage, “Presented by The Shire of Oxley Victoria” situated between the cockpits on the port side.

Tiger Moth A17-616

A17-616 was later transferred to 5 Squadron (Army-Co-op) RAAF on the 6th December 1942. 5 Squadron had been reformed at Laverton airfield in Victoria on 9th January 1941. The Squadron was equipped with CAC Wirraways. Their initial role was Army Co-operation, being trained in tactical and photo-reconnaissance, artillery spotting, message dropping and other Army support roles.

The Squadron was relocated to Toowoomba airfield on the 12th May 1942, and then having moved on to Toogoolawah airfield by November 1942 when A17-616 joined the squadron.

The squadron then moved to Kingaroy airfield in February 1943, followed to Mareeba airfield in north Queensland during June 1943. It was during this time that the Squadron was allocated its Squadron codes resulting in all six of the unit’s Tiger Moths, to be coded BF.

A17-616 became BF-Z.

It seems that the standard paint finish of acceptance in August 1942 had given way to the above finish, along with codes, by the time of its first accident in July 1943.


Sky under on the under surfaces, with the then standard Earth and Foliage Green disruptive scheme and the then standard insignia of White and Blue Roundels. There is doubt on whether it sported the fin flash.
Following its accident at Rocky Creek, the aircraft continued its service after repair and overhaul by Australian National Airlines at Bankstown with 6th Communications Unit in the Northern Territory. There is no photographic record of what scheme she was carrying during this service, though overall Foliage green would be a careful consideration.


After a varied wartime service the aircraft went into storage following its rebuild and overhaul post war in early 1946. Eventually after again being overhauled and re-sprayed in silver, she would be allocated to 1 Basic Flying Training School Point Cook in 1952. There she would serve less than twelve months before being placed again into storage for some years at East Sale prior to her eventual sale in 1959.There appears to be a cold trail after 1959 and I would appreciate if any person could throw any further light of her subsequent history?


E/E88 Card History
A17-616 C/N DHA1051 Rec 2AD ex DHA 18/08/42. Rec 1AOS 24/08/42.Designated as presentation aircraft by the RAAF and had its presentation plate affixed "Presented by The Shire of Oxley Victoria" 19/10/42 rec 5Sqn Accident 06/12/42 at Yeppoon Qld, when aircraft tipped on nose on landing.20/07/43 allocated to 12RSU following crash at Rocky Creek on the 19/07/43. Canc. Rec 02/08/43 rec at 13ARD ex 5Sqn. To ANA, for overhaul at Bankstown. Rec 2AP following re-build, 14/06/44. Rebuilt and accepted, 05/08/44 rec at 6CU.12/11/45 issued to 10EFTS.
Still with 6CU, accident 15/11/45 when on landing aircraft ground looped causing extensive damage when undercarriage collapsed at Gorrie Strip.26/11/45 rec at 10EFTS from 6CU for storage. 01/04/46 it was still being repaired.


Selected 10/04/46 for post war service.09/12/47 rec 2AD17/08/48 Cat C Storage. 1/05/51 rec at DHA Bankstown for overhaul. 02/04/52 allocated for 1BFTS Point Cook. 22/05/52 Issued to DHA for overhaul then ferrying to 1BFTS. 28/05/52 rec at 1BFTS.20/03/53 rec East Sale until 11/07/56. 21/08/56 to be held as general reserve at East Sale.09/10/56 rec 1AD for disposal. 01/06/57. Collected by Purchaser 23/04/59.

Avro Anson W.1664 Force Landing Mt Beppo Rd - 1941

Not actually an incident directly related to the airfield and the event happened in 1941 before the airfield was constructed.

 

What happened to the Aerodrome Road?

When the airfield was constructed a diversion road was constructed around the western end of the 12/30 runway. This road was called "Aerodrome road".. The fact that Silverleaves Rd used to cross the airfield was a problem then and the same problem still exists today in 2015.

In an article in the Queensland Times Friday, 16 November 1945 the following was published:

"COUNCIL'S CLAIM ON AERODROME ROAD"

At a meeting of the Esk Shire Council on Wednesday a letter from Lower Cressbrook branch of the Q.D.O.(Queensland Dairyman's Organization) was read. It asked that the proposed road around portion of the aerodrome there should be properly formed, graveled,fenced, and be free of cattle grids before being accepted by the council from the Commonwealth Government.

When the Commonwealth Government decided, in the war years, to enlarge the aerodrome, land was resumed for the purpose. This included a stretch of good gravel road, traffic being diverted around the area. For some time the council has been pressing for the graveling and fencing, at the expense of the Commonwealth Government, of the road round the aerodrome,but correspondence and interviews with officials of the Department of Civil Aviation, which now controls the area. failed to bring satisfactory results.

Mr. J. G, Mowbray, an official of the department, waited on the council yesterday. The principal point at issue, he said, was whether the council desired the aerodrome to be retained at its present size, or whether it was desired that the 'drome should revert to its original size by the re-opening of the road through the centre. If this were done,the area would then become only an emergency landing ground. No plans had been made by the department which would indicate that the aerodrome would be needed for any regular service.

It seemed to be a sensible thing, however, to retain the aerodrome at the present size if satisfactory arrangements could be made regarding the road referred to in the Q.D.O. letter. The Engineer pointed out that putting the old road in order would probably cost the Government as much as the work of graveling and fencing the new road.

Cr. Cannell claimed that the residents of the Lower Cressbrook area were entitled to a road free of gates and cattle grids. The department's attitude appeared to be only to fence the road and say,"There you are," and to forget that 75 chains of good gravel road had been taken over when the aerodrome was enlarged. If the department was prepared to fence and gravel the road it would be acceptable to the Council?,he added.

Answering a question by Mr. Mowbray, Cr. Cannell said the council was in agreement with the location of the road, but one resident. Mr. Henderson, might claim compensation for the severance of his property.

Mr. Mowbray: If the department considers the work sought was too expensive, what would be the reaction of the council if it was decided to hand back the old road?

Cr. Cannell: The residents would be quite satisfied, but it would cost the department as much to do that as to make the new road.

Cr. Cannell thanked Mr. Mowbray on behalf of the residents of Lower Cressbrookl, and hoped that he would be able to report favorably to the department.

Request by Esk Shire Council for a telephone to be put on the airfield and by this stage the airfield appears to have a new name

In the Queensland Times, Thursday 16 th January 1947 the following was published as part of an article titled "Toogoolawah Water Supply: Engineer's Investigations"

CRESSBROOK AERODROME.

Mr. White suggested that the Lower Crespbrook aerodrome should have a telephone in case of a forced landing. It was agreed to request the Civil Aviation Department to attend to the matter.

What's left in 2011 of the original WW2 buildings?

In the foreground of the image below the remains of the concrete slab of the ablution block can be seen, in the background is the Watts Bridge Memorial Airfield.

below is the remains of a loading ramp used to off load equipment and fuel drums during WW2


To provide further information, corrections or feedback please email: Historian@wattsbridgehistory.com